1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner at
all times in the laboratory.
2. Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully. If you do not understand
a direction or part of a procedure, ask the instructor before proceeding.
3. When first entering a science room, do not touch any equipment, chemicals,
or other materials in the laboratory area until you are instructed to do
4. Keep hands away from face, eyes, mouth and body while using chemicals
or preserved specimens. Wash your hands with soap and water after performing
all experiments. Clean (with detergent), rinse, and wipe dry all work surfaces
(including the sink) and apparatus at the end of the experiment. Return
all equipment clean and in working order to the proper storage area.
5. Never return unused chemicals to their original containers.
6. When transferring reagents from one container to another, hold the containers
away from your body.
7. Never remove chemicals or other materials from the laboratory area.
8. Carry glass tubing, especially long pieces, in a vertical position to
minimize the likelihood of breakage and injury.
9. Never handle broken glass with your bare hands. Use a brush and dustpan
to clean up broken glass. Place broken or waste glassware in the designated
glass disposal container.
10. When removing an electrical plug from its socket, grasp the plug, not
the electrical cord. Hands must be completely dry before touching an electrical
switch, plug, or outlet.
11. Examine glassware before each use. Never use chipped or cracked glassware.
Never use dirty glassware.
12. Report damaged electrical equipment immediately. Look for things such
as frayed cords, exposed wires, and loose connections. Do not use damaged
13. If you do not understand how to use a piece of equipment, ask your teacher
14. Do not immerse hot glassware in cold water; it may shatter.
15. Heated metals and glass remain very hot for a long time. They should
be set aside to cool and picked up with caution. Use tongs or heat-protective
gloves if necessary.
16. Never look into a container that is being heated.
17. Do not place hot apparatus directly on the laboratory desk. Always use
an insulating pad. Allow plenty of time for hot apparatus to cool before
(student's name) have read and agree to follow all
of the safety rules set forth in this contract. I
realize that I must obey these rules to insure my
own safety, and that of my fellow students and instructors.
I will cooperate to the fullest extent with my instructor
and fellow students to maintain a safe lab environment.
I will also closely follow the oral and written instructions
provided by the instructor. I am aware that any violation
of this safety contract that results in unsafe conduct
in the laboratory or misbehavior on my part, may
result in being removed from the laboratory and receiving
a failing grade.
Student's signature ________________________________________
Parent's signature _________________________________________
Click here to download
a copy of this in Word.